With summer drawing to a close, the days are getting shorter and the nights colder. Off come the shorts and flip-flops and on go the trousers, boots, gloves, scarves, hats, jackets etc. etc. Winter’s coming, and there’s nowt we can do about it.
So it’s with one final, weary and sombre salute that we should all toast the summer with a drink that is the true embodiment of the season. A drink that evokes the spirits of countries where the sun shines all year round ,and will help keep the thoughts of the British winter at bay: Yes, it’s the mojito. Get one in while it’s still marginally appropriate as it won’t be long before it’s time for brandy Schnapps and Advocaat.
You will need: Large tumbler, a pestle, couple of handfuls of mint leaves, Havana Club rum, unrefined sugar, Limes
– First, make up a simple syrup by boiling a cup of unrefined sugar with a cup of water until the sugar dissolves, then cool in the fridge.
– Half fill the tumbler with ice, add a handful of mint leaves and crush together with the pestle
– Add 1-2 shots of the rum (I’d go with two personally)
– Squeeze in one lime
– Top with more ice and pour on the simple syrup until the glass is just full
– Stir, then top off with a sprig of mint
Finally, drink enough of them until you forget that winter is a-coming.