The Beatles’ 1967 song ‘I am the Walrus’ has come second in a poll on the weirdest song lyrics.
The so called Baffle of the Bands was put to 2,000 adult users of online music streaming service Blinkbox, and they voted the lines ‘I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus, goo goo g’joob’, which feature in the song’s chorus, to be worthy of second place.
The list of perplexing poetics was topped by the Killers with their 2008 hit ‘Human’, for the lyrics ‘Are we human or are we dancer?’ Killers frontman Brandon Flowers has explained that the lyrics refer to a comment made by author Hunter S. Thompson about how America was ‘raising a generation of dancers’.
Other inconsistencies noted by voters are in Oasis’ ‘Champagne Supernova’, for the lyrics ‘Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball’ and Carly Rae Jepson’s ‘Call Me Maybe’, for its line ‘Before you came into my life I missed you so bad’.
But there are plenty of other strange Beatles lyrics even within ‘I am the Walrus’, which was the B-side to ‘HelloGoodbye’ and a number one hit. Equally baffling are ‘Sitting on a cornflake’ and ‘Yellow matter custard dripping from a dead dog’s eye’. Other songs with odd rhymes by the Fab Four could include ‘Octopus’s Garden’, ‘Come Together’ and ‘Polythene Pam’.
The Top Ten songs in the Blinkbox poll are as follows:
1. The Killers, Human – ‘Are we human, or are we dancer?’
2. The Beatles, I Am The Walrus – ‘I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus, goo goo g’joob’
3. Michael Jackson, Earth Song – ‘What about elephants? Have we lost their trust?’
4. Lionel Richie, All Night Long – ‘Tom bo li de se de moi ya, hey jambo jambo’
5. Carly Rae Jepson, Call Me Maybe – ‘Before you came into my life, I missed you so bad’
6. Black Eyed Peas, Boom Boom Pow – ‘Beats so big I’m stepping on leprechauns’
7. Duran Duran, The Reflex – ‘The reflex is an only child, he’s waiting in the park’
8. Wham!, Club Tropicana – ‘Club Tropicana, drinks are free, fun and sunshine, there’s enough for everyone, all that’s missing is the sea’
9. Taylor Swift, Love Story – ‘Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter, and my daddy said stay away from Juliet.’
10. Oasis, Champagne Supernova – ‘Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball’
By Sadie Hale | August 1st, 2014